ClikClub Photography
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

D3000 Nikon

+4
Kiongster
FotoTods
Yongster
ssian
8 posters

Go down

D3000 Nikon Empty D3000 Nikon

Post by ssian Wed 14 Jul 2010, 10:51

Hi all, this is my first time posting in this forum i guess...
I usually frequent CLUBSnap but their levels are way too above mine...

I'm interested in purchasing and owning a DSLR, and i have no idea which is a better one to start with...
Nikon D3000
Canon 500D
So anyone here has anyone comments on both these two cameras ?

I know this is a Canon Thread i guess i should have put it under the General Thread
If it's in the wrong section, do help me to move this to the appropriate section. Thanks

I'm not sure of the budget as well but a friend of mine told me to get a second hand camera since it's relatively cheaper and also, since i'm getting use to; i mean to get start off with, don't need to purchase a brand new good/mid range cameras...

Now i have no idea what is entry levels or mid-range levels besides from the prices of the different series of cameras...

ssian
Just joined

Male
Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-12-15

Back to top Go down

D3000 Nikon Empty Re: D3000 Nikon

Post by Yongster Wed 14 Jul 2010, 10:55

No matter what your level is, we will always welcome you to post.

Since you posted this query in NIKON section, that may means that you are more favor to NIKON? I have got different reviews from different usage by users, some really favor CANON because of the white balance as NIKON tends to have warmer feel in the photos. Some prefer NIKON because of the crisp sharpness as CANON has softness in their sharpness.

It really have to depend on what you want.

Be more careful and wary if you are going to buy a 2nd hand camera as hidden problems may incur hidden costs on repairs. Once you get a 2nd hand camera, be sure to check thoroughly.
Yongster
Yongster

Male
Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2010-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post by ssian Wed 14 Jul 2010, 11:07

Ok, so what are the things which i need to check on before purchasing a second hand camera...
I read about the white balance and the sharpness from somewhere, but as for features wise, are both cameras similar to another ?

A friend of mine was saying that D3000 has this 11points shooter which is quite interesting but the offset was, it doesn't have a LCD and user has to look through the small hole to set

I'm not too sure of what i really want... i just want to have a test and feel of having a DSLR and PnS when and where as i feel like it or during free time over the weekends...

If it's going to be more expensive to purchase a second hand one, i don't mind buying the first hand set...

As for lens wise, which is relatively cheaper ?
I'm not sure about the jargon they are using in the other side and i was too afraid of asking questions which they deem to be noob questions

Hahaa, although this place is quiet, but it's relatively easier to ask noob questions Mad

ssian
Just joined

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by FotoTods Wed 14 Jul 2010, 11:11

One point is that you don't have to worry about what is entry level and what is mid range level. You have to see yourself, what do you want to achieve? Do you intend to get very serious with photography? Or you just want a DLSR to get good pictures wherever you go. Do you intend to do a lot of creative shots by using different functions in a DLSR? Like star trails, macro etc..

If you want a DSLR so that you can get good pictures wherever you go, you can choose a light and small DSLR which can make you very mobile. If you intend to use all the available functions to do different kinds of photography, you can invest a bit more to get a better camera like 7D and from there, you can learn from scratch.

Yes, you may get a 2nd hand camera to start off with, but what if you want to upgrade? You need money right? That is extra cost right? So why not get a bit better one and you can stay with it longer?
FotoTods
FotoTods
Warden
Warden

Male
Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Yongster Wed 14 Jul 2010, 11:19

ssian wrote:Ok, so what are the things which i need to check on before purchasing a second hand camera...
I read about the white balance and the sharpness from somewhere, but as for features wise, are both cameras similar to another ?

A friend of mine was saying that D3000 has this 11points shooter which is quite interesting but the offset was, it doesn't have a LCD and user has to look through the small hole to set

I'm not too sure of what i really want... i just want to have a test and feel of having a DSLR and PnS when and where as i feel like it or during free time over the weekends...

If it's going to be more expensive to purchase a second hand one, i don't mind buying the first hand set...

As for lens wise, which is relatively cheaper ?
I'm not sure about the jargon they are using in the other side and i was too afraid of asking questions which they deem to be noob questions

Hahaa, although this place is quiet, but it's relatively easier to ask noob questions Mad

First, its not easy to check a second hand camera because you would not even know what happened to this camera before, did it drop from high level before? Did it suffer knocks and bangs? Did it went for repair before? I have received feedbacks that if you get a second hand camera from the camera workshop, you will get a warranty period of 6 months, I don't if that is still available now, you can try.

The small hole you are talking about is the viewfinder. Yes, every DSLR has viewfinder for you to accurately compose your shot. So the viewfinder if definitely better than using the LCD screen.

You should really try these cameras out yourself before jumping in and buy one.. Try until you are satisfied before deciding.

For lens wise, both CANON and NIKON seems to be competitive so you have to justify yourself.

Lastly, no, I won't deem you as a noob asking a noob question because everyone has been a noob before.
Yongster
Yongster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiongster Wed 14 Jul 2010, 16:07

First thing to ask yourself, why do you need a DSLR? When, where and how you want to use it?
Kiongster
Kiongster

Male
Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Back to top Go down

Post by NumbFinger Wed 14 Jul 2010, 16:08

Don't mind telling us your budget? So maybe I can work it out for you?
NumbFinger
NumbFinger

Male
Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2010-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by livesnapper Wed 14 Jul 2010, 21:21

For my own case, I will start with my budget, check on how much I am willing to spend then look at the available options I can have.
livesnapper
livesnapper

Male
Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-04-25

Back to top Go down

Post by ssian Thu 15 Jul 2010, 11:27

Ok, i would like to purchase the Canon 50D with a good lens...
Roughly how much will this costs as a package ?

I guess you don't need any reason to wanting to own something...
maybe to take this opportunity to develop it into an interest or hobby...

ssian
Just joined

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SMP Thu 15 Jul 2010, 12:40

ssian wrote:Ok, i would like to purchase the Canon 50D with a good lens...

50D is quite a good choice, but 7D will be better in terms of low light conditions and sharpness. And of course, the additional function of HD video as an option for you!

SMP

Male
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2010-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Yongster Thu 15 Jul 2010, 12:45

ssian wrote:Ok, i would like to purchase the Canon 50D with a good lens...

With a good lens, what do you intend to shoot more? Landscape? Portraitures? Or just an all rounder lens at the expense of quality?
Yongster
Yongster

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Thu 15 Jul 2010, 17:47

There have been so many good reviews on 7D, so if you want to get a CANON, why not choose 7D?
Crusader
Crusader

Male
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2010-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ssian Fri 16 Jul 2010, 10:47

Have to reconsider again...
Don't really have anything in mind of what to shoot or begin with...
basically anything and whatever that captures "moments in life"
It might sound easy, well i think it's the most difficult of all.

ssian
Just joined

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crusader Fri 16 Jul 2010, 13:08

In that case, get a 550D with 24-105 lens, it has a HD video function and 24-105L should be enough for your wide selections of captures..
Crusader
Crusader

Male
Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2010-05-13

Back to top Go down

Post by FotoTods Fri 16 Jul 2010, 16:16

In the case that you don't really know what you want to shoot, just go for an all rounder lens with a relatively cheap body which is good enough like ya, 550D.
FotoTods
FotoTods
Warden
Warden

Male
Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down